Commander's Palace Creole Bouillabaisse
- Ready In:
- 1⁄2 cup olive oil
- 1⁄4 cup garlic, peeled and chopped
- 4 blue crabs (gumbo crabs)
- 1⁄2 lb shrimp shells (fresh, not frozen, plus heads)
- 1 jalapeno, minced and seeded
- 4 stalks celery, coarsely chopped (no leaves)
- 2 carrots, peeled and coarsely chopped
- 3 leeks, split, cleaned and coarsely chopped
- 3 red bell peppers, seeded and chopped
- 4 large onions, peeled and coarsely chopped
- 6 tomatoes
- 2 quarts fish stock (or 1 quart water plus 1 quart white wine)
- 2 fresh thyme sprigs
- 8 basil leaves, stemmed and chopped
- 1 pinch saffron
- 1⁄2 cup olive oil
- 3 tablespoons garlic, minced
- 24 mussels, scrubbed and de-bearded
- 8 slices seafood sausage (Commander's Seafood Sausage)
- 8 ounces fish fillets, cut into pieces (trout or sheepshead preferred)
- 3⁄4 cup dry white wine (Pinot Grigio, Sauvignon Blanc or Chardonnay are all good)
- 24 oysters, shucked
- 2 leeks, split, cleaned and julienned
- 2 tomatoes, peeled and chopped
- 1 carrot, peeled and chopped
- 1 red pepper, seeded and julienned
- 8 baby new potatoes, quartered and blanched for five minutes
- 24 jumbo shrimp, peeled with tails left on
- 1 lb crabmeat
- salt and pepper, to taste
- fresh parsley, minced (for garnish)
- To make the broth base: Heat olive oil in a large pot; saute the garlic until golden.
- Add the crab and shrimp shells; saute for ten minutes.
- Add the rest of the vegetables and cook until tender, about 20 mintues.
- Add stock or water and wine, herbs and saffron; simmer for an hour.
- Puree in batches and strain.
- To make the bouillabaisse: In a large pan, heat 1/4 cup of olive oil over medium heat and saute garlic until golden.
- Add mussels, shrimp, seafood sausage and fish; cook for about five minutes.
- Pour in the whie wine and cook, scraping the bottom of the pan to remove any browned bits.
- Add 8 cups of the broth and bring to a boil.
- In a medium pan, heat 1/4 cup olive oil and saute the vegetables until tender.
- Add oysters and crab meat to the broth and seafood mixture.
- Add sauteed vegetables to the mixture and season to taste with salt and pepper.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Have any thoughts about this recipe? Share it with the community!