Comforting Potato Soup
photo by Chris from Kansas
- Ready In:
- 3 medium potatoes, peeled and sliced
- 1 carrot, diced
- 3 stalks celery, diced
- 1 quart water
- 1⁄2 onion, chopped
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons butter or 1 1/2 tablespoons margarine
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons parmesan cheese
- 1⁄4 teaspoon dry mustard
- 3⁄4 cup 2% low-fat milk
- In large pot, cook potatoes, carrots and celery in water until tender, about 20 minutes.
- Drain, reserving liquid and setting vegetables aside.
- In same pot, saute onions in butter until soft.
- Stir in flour, salt, pepper, parmesan cheese and dry mustard.
- Gradually add milk, stirring constantly until thickened.
- Gently stir in cooked vegetables.
- Add 1/2 cup or more of reserved cooking liquids until soup is desired consistency.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Have any thoughts about this recipe? Share it with the community!
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
<p>I live in the Kansas City area and have many hobbies including cooking, reading and spending time with my husband and two children who are very active in sports now. I also have an eBay business which is a fun hobby that makes a little extra money! My interest in cooking focuses on making healthy dishes that are more satisfying than the higher fat and higher sugar versions. If I had a month off with no responsibilities, I would spend it at a luxury spa. <br /> <br /></p>