Coconut Pecan Shortbread
Lots of shortbread recipes out there, but this one is a bit different. The toasted coconut makes the difference. A Martha Stewart recipe that I've been doing for years and my hubby's favorite cookie. Prep time is toasting time and cooking time doesn't include the time for chilling the dough.
- Ready In:
- 1⁄2 cup sweetened coconut, toasted and finely chopped
- 1⁄2 cup pecans, toasted and finely chopped
- 1 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 cups flour, plus more for rolling out dough
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- To toast the coconut and pecans: Place on separate baking pans and toast in a preheated 180 degree oven for 8-10 minutes, turning pans halfway through toasting, or until golden and fragrant. Finely chop in food processor.
- In a large bowl, cream butter with electric mixer. Add sugar and mix until light and fluffy. Add vanilla, flour and salt. Mix until combined. With a wooden spoon, mix in the pecans and coconut just until combined. Form dough into a disk, wrap in plastic and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes until firm, or freeze for up to a month.
- Butter 3 cookie sheets and preheat oven to 180 degrees.
- On a clean, lightly floured surface, roll out dough to a 1/4 in thickness. Cut out as many cookies as possible and place on cookie sheets, 1 in apart. Try not to re-roll scraps too many times, as this will toughen the cookies.
- Bake until golden brown, about 12-15 minutes, rotating baking sheets half-way through cooking.
MY PRIVATE NOTES
RECIPE MADE WITH LOVE BY
Join The Conversation
These are delicious shortbread they're very light and delicate. I cut the recipe in half otherwise made as written except instead of rolling the dough and cutting them out, I shaped it into a log , Chilled, and then sliced the cookies which was very simple. Made for SWT 2018 for of the Pantry Pirates
Love the shortbread and pecan cookies we can get at the grocery store and with the added coconut I knew these would be great cookies. I also rolled the dough into balls because my rolling pin skills are not that wonderful. LOL If you like shortbread give these cookies a try! Made and reviewed for Susie's World Tour.