Coconut-Mint and Mango Rice Salad
- Ready In:
- 1 1⁄2 cups jasmine rice
- 2 1⁄4 cups chicken broth or 2 1/4 cups vegetable broth
- 1⁄2 cup coconut milk, shaken very well
- 3 tablespoons lime juice
- 2 tablespoons rice wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons ginger, grated
- 1 tablespoon minced hot red chili pepper
- 1 tablespoon mustard oil (OR 1 tablespoon olive oil and 1 teaspoon dried mustard)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 1 large ripe mango, diced (approx. 2 cups)
- 1⁄2 cup chopped scallion, white and green parts
- 1⁄2 cup of fresh mint, chopped
- 1⁄4 cup toasted slivered almonds
- To toast your almonds, preheat your oven to 350 degrees F, and place nuts in a single layer on a baking sheet, and toast for approximately 10 minutes, shaking your pan periodically to rotate the nuts, until they are golden and fragrant.
- Set aside to cool.
- Combine rice and broth in a medium saucepan.
- Bring to a boil, then stir and cover.
- Reduce your heat to a simmer and allow to cook for 15 mins, or until liquid is absorbed.
- Turn off heat and allow rice to stand covered for 10 mins, and uncover and fluff with a fork.
- In a nonreactive large bowl, mix coconut milk, lime juice, vinegar, ginger, chilies, mustard oil, salt and pepper.
- Add rice to this mixture, stirring to coat the rice very well.
- Refrigerate for at least 2 hours for rice to absorb flavors.
- Before serving, bring rice to room temperature, and then stir in your mango, scallions and 1/4 cup of mint.
- Taste test to see if seasonings suit you.
- if not, you may want to add more vinegar, salt, or pepper.
- Garnish with the toasted almonds and remaining 1/4 cup of chopped mint.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Very good and spicy salad which we enjoyed with lamb chops! I was out of ginger so I skipped it and I was also out of hot chili peppers so used crushed red pepper flakes - using the same amount as listed - it was too hot for me but my dh and ds loved the heat! Tomorrow I am mixing the leftover salad with a small can of tuna for a great lunch! Thanks for sharing!
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
Since April 2008, I have been a vegetarian. I dont eat creatures...that's the easiest way to put it! :D I still eat a small amount of dairy, but not very much. I have been missing around here for a while, and hope to poke my head in a bit more often from now on... I hope you enjoy my recipes...