Classic Mincemeat - Canadian Living
- Ready In:
- 1hr 15mins
- 6 golden delicious apples, peeled and grated (5 cups)
- 2 cups raisins
- 2 cups sultanas, seeded
- 2 cups currants
- 1 3⁄4 cups brown sugar, packed
- 1⁄2 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup mixed candied peel
- 1⁄4 cup lemon rind, grated
- 3⁄4 cup lemon juice
- 3⁄4 cup apple cider or 3/4 cup apple juice
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 2 teaspoons nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1 teaspoon allspice
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 cup rum or 1/2 cup brandy
- In Dutch oven, combine apples, raisins, lexia raisins, currants, brown sugar, suet, candied peel, lemon rind and juice, cider, cinnamon, nutmeg, cloves, allspice and salt, bring to boil.
- Reduce heat and simmer until thickened and syrupy, about 45 minutes. Stir in rum; let cool. (Make-ahead: Refrigerate in airtight containers for up to 3 weeks or freeze for up to 3 months.).
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
now you're talking...<br/>BUT WAIT!<br/>WHERE IS THE MEAT?<br/>i have been hoodwinked.<br/>you have plenty of chopped up stuff but no meat.<br/><br/>this is a decent recipe to add caribou or moose or venison to.<br/>but in its present form it is not minceMEAT.<br/>more like cooked spiced chopped fruit.