Chocolate Suicide Cake
photo by Mrs.Muffins
- Ready In:
- 3⁄4 cup safflower oil, plus some for pan
- 2 cups whole wheat pastry flour
- 1 1⁄2 cups raw sugar
- 1 tablespoon cream of tartar
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon fine sea salt
- 3⁄4 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 1 1⁄4 cups vanilla soymilk
- 3⁄4 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1⁄2 tablespoon pure vanilla extract
- 4 ounces unsweetened chocolate, chopped
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 2 cups fudgy chocolate frosting
- Preheat oven to 350. Oil a 13 x 9 inch baking pan, set aside.
- In a large bowl, sift together the flour, sugar, cream of tartar, baking soda, and salt. Stir in the chocolate chips, set aside.
- In a medium bowl, combine the oil, soy milk, applesauce, and vanilla, stirring until smooth, set aside.
- In the top of a double boiler or in a medium metal bowl set over a pot of gently simmering water, melt the chocolate, stirring just until smooth.
- Add the oil mixture to the flour mixture, stirring until smooth. Add the melted chocolate, stirring until smooth. Stir in the vinegar.
- Transfer the batter to the prepared pan and smooth the surface. Bake for 40-45 minutes until the cake springs back when lightly touched in the center and begins to pull away from the sides of the pan. Thoroughly cool on a cooling rack before frosting with Fudgy Chocolate Frosting.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Have any thoughts about this recipe? Share it with the community!