Chocolate-Dipped Brownie Bites (Brownies)
photo by Billy Green
- Ready In:
- 1hr 5mins
- 3⁄4 cup sugar
- 1⁄3 cup butter
- 2 tablespoons water
- 4 cups semi-sweet chocolate chips, divided
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 eggs
- 3⁄4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 tablespoons shortening
- other christmas candies or candy sprinkles
- For Brownies: In a saucepan, bring the sugar, butter and water to a boil over medium heat; remove from the heat.
- Stir in 1 cup chocolate chips and vanilla; stir until smooth. Cool for 5 minutes.
- Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition.
- Combine flour, salt and baking soda; stir into chocolate mixture. Stir in 1 cup chocolate chips.
- Pour into a greased 9-inch square baking pan. Bake at 325°F for 35 minutes or until set.
- Cool completely. Place in the freezer for 30-40 minutes (do not freeze completely). Cut into squares.
- For Coating: In a heavy saucepan or microwave, melt remaining chips with shortening; stir until smooth.
- Using a small plastic fork with two middle tines broken off, dip brownies to completely coat; shake off excess.
- Place brownies on waxed paper-lined baking sheets; immediately decorate with M&M's or other toppings as desired or drizzle with melted baking chips.
- Let stand until set. Store in a sealed container in a cool place.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
these look so beautiful in the picture, but of course mine didnt look so great. Mine looked very homemade, haha, but for me it was overpoweringly chocolatey! It was a very neat idea but i had trouble dipping without crumbs getting mixed into with the mixture so all my squared dont look like squares. My chocoholic friends loved it though, i think i prefer cutting out regulare sized brownies and spreading chocolate generously on top, its easier for me and ends up looking better. Great with white choc especially! **also i omitted the 2nd cup of choc chips in the recipe and used canola oil instead of shortening.** Oh and i found that while they are still warm you can squash them with your fingers into dense fudgey squares, as they cool if you dont do that they became more cake-y
WOW! These little gems are definitely the stars of my holiday gift baskets!!! I did cheat and use a brownie mix. :( BUT I followed the rest of the directions exactly! Putting the brownies in the freezer is absolutely GENIOUS! This recipe was extremely easy - but the end result was "designer" brownies! One of my friends asked where I ordered them from!!! Thanks, Marg - these are awesome! UPDATE: This recipe made it into my Book #235514 cookbook! Thanks, again, Marge!
see 3 more reviews
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
With the changes to the email notifications and removal of private messaging, I am no longer able to respond to questions about my recipes. Yet another feature change that has made the website less user friendly. It's sad to watch a fantastic site deteriorate over the years. Some of my recipes are on my blog.