Chinese Barbecued Chicken
- Ready In:
- 1 whole chicken (about 3-3 1/2 lbs.)
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 4 cloves garlic, peeled
- 2 slices fresh peeled ginger
- 5 tablespoons hoisin sauce
- 3 tablespoons rice wine or 3 tablespoons dry sherry
- 1 tablespoon dark soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon light soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon chili paste
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon toasted sesame oil
- Cut the chicken into quarters and rub each piece evenly with the salt.
- Combine the rest of the ingredients in a blender or food processor and puree them.
- Place the chicken in a resealable plastic bag and pour the marinade over.
- Squish around good so the marinade is evenly coating the chicken.
- Set aside to marinate at least 1 hour at room temperature, or refrigerate overnight.
- Preheat broiler, light a fire in an open gril or turn on your gas grill.
- When your chosen cooking method is hot, place the chicken on the grill and cook, over indirect heat, for about 45 minutes turning occasionally, or until meat is no longer pink near the joints.
- This is really good served with steamed jasmine rice and greens or stir-fried pea pods and mushrooms.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!