Chili Sin Carne
photo by Chopped into the pot
- Ready In:
- 1hr 20mins
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 3 onions
- 1 1⁄2 lbs red peppers
- 3 green chili peppers
- 3 garlic cloves
- 1⁄2 cup soybeans, flaked
- 1⁄2 cup red lentil
- 1 cup red wine or 1 cup beer
- 3 (14 ounce) cans tomatoes, chopped
- 1 (14 ounce) can kidney beans
- 1 (12 ounce) can corn
- 1 tablespoon paprika
- 1⁄2 tablespoon cumin
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons oregano
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 2 bay leaves
- 3 1⁄2 ounces dark chocolate
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- chop onions in pretty big pieces, heat some olive oil in a big pot and let the onions fry on high heat until they brown a little bit.
- in the meantime, remove the core from the peppers and cut them in big chunks.
- put them to the onions and fry them together.
- half the chili peppers, remove the core, cut halves in stripes and put them into the pot.
- put in the soybeans and red lentils and fry everything together for a few minutes.
- if everything is well fried and the bottom of the pot beginns to brown, pour in the beer/wine.
- let it reduce for about 3min, still on high heat.
- reduce the heat to medium and pour in all the cans (no need to strain) and put in all spices.
- dissolve the chocolate into the pot and mix thoroughly.
- let everything simmer for about 1h with no lid, check regularly to mix well because it tends to scorch - rule of thumb: the longer it sits on the stove > the thicker it gets > the lower the heat should be.
- it's done, when the consistency isn't runny anymore.
- Serve chili with guacamole, slices of chili peppers and fresh bread (gluten-free when needed).
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Have any thoughts about this recipe? Share it with the community!