- Ready In:
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 1 onion, quartered
- 2 garlic cloves
- 2 onions, finely chopped
- 1 garlic, minced
- 12 tomatoes, peeled and seeded and pureed
- 1 tablespoon cilantro, minced
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 2 tablespoons Tabasco sauce (optional)
- 4 round corn tortillas
- 1 cup sour cream (thinned with a small amount of water)
- 1⁄2 lb manchego cheese
- 1⁄2 lb mozzarella cheese
- Cut the tortillas into strips.
- Cook chicken with a little water, the quartered onion, a pinch of salt and two cloves of garlic. Cover, cook slowly over a medium heat.
- Remove cooked chicken from the pan and discard onion and garlic; allow to cool enough to handle.
- Sautee the chopped onion and garlic in a little olive oil.
- Once the onion is translucent, add tomatoes, cilantro and Tabasco sauce; simmer over medium heat for 10 minutes; salt and pepper to taste.
- Shred the chicken and add to the sauce; lower heat and cook for a few minutes to absorb some of the flavors from the sauce. Do not over cook.
- Deep fry the corn tortillas. When they are crisp, remove and drain on paper towels.
- Assemble the chilaquiles like lasagna. Use a large lasagna pan and layer the following: tortillas, chicken in sauce, thinned sour cream, cheese.
- Repeat layers and finish with cheese and sour cream.
- Bake at 325 degrees F for about 45 minutes.
Join The Conversation