Chickpea Curry With Pumpkin (Squash) & Baby Spinach
- Ready In:
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 415 g canned whole tomatoes, pureed
- 1 1⁄2 cups canned chick-peas, drained (or use cooked dry chickpeas)
- 320 g butternut squash, peeled and chopped into small pieces
- salt (optional)
- 2 tablespoons fresh coriander, chopped
- 100 g baby spinach leaves
- Heat the oil and sauté the onion and garlic until soft.
- Add spices and sauté one minute, to release flavours.
- Add tomato paste, pureed tomatoes and 1 cup of water. Stir well.
- Add the chickpeas and pumpkin and bring to the boil.
- Reduce the heat and simmer for around 15 minutes, or until the pumpkin is tender.
- Add the coriander and baby spinach leaves and simmer for a few minutes until leaves just start to wilt.
- Serve with basmati rice, pappadums, and yoghurt or raita.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
I was born and raised in the USA but now live in Melbourne, Australia. I have been here since 1999. My husband is Australian. We have two daughters (born May '05 and May '07) and a yellow Labrador. I cook mainly for my family. I do my best to feed them (and myself) plenty of whole grains and vegetables, with small amounts of lean meats and "good fats". Most of my recipes will lean in that direction, although sometimes I will post something that just tastes good!