Chicken With Rice (Arroz Con Pollo)
- Ready In:
- 2hrs 5mins
- 8 boneless chicken thighs, with skin
- 1⁄2 cup olive oil
- 2 cups chopped onions
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 1⁄2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 2 cups converted long-grain white rice
- 2 1⁄2 teaspoons salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon saffron thread
- 1 (28 ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 1 (4 ounce) can chopped green chilies
- 1 1⁄4 cups chicken broth
- 3⁄4 cup fresh peas
- 1 (4 ounce) jar pimientos, drained
- 0.5 (8 ounce) jar pimento stuffed olives, drained and sliced
- 1⁄2 cup water
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees F (165 degrees C).
- Heat the olive oil in a Dutch oven over medium heat.
- Sear the chicken until golden, then set aside. Stir in the onion, garlic, and red pepper flakes; cook until the onions have softened, about 4 minutes.
- Add the rice, and season with salt, pepper, and saffron. Cook rice until golden, stirring constantly, about 10 minutes.
- Stir in the tomatoes, green chiles, and chicken broth. Place chicken thighs on top, then bring to a boil, cover, and place in the preheated oven.
- Bake for 1 hour in the preheated oven, then sprinkle the peas, pimentos, and olives on top. Pour in the water, but do not stir. Recover and continue baking until the chicken is fully cooked, about 20 minutes.
Join The Conversation