Chicken With Ale and Juniper Berries
photo by ncmysteryshopper
- Ready In:
- 1 (4 lb) broiler-fryer chickens, cut into 8 pieces
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
- 4 tablespoons cold unsalted butter, 3 tablespoons cut into small dice
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 3 shallots, minced
- 1⁄2 cup dark beer, plus
- 2 tablespoons dark beer, such as Maredsous Abbey Ale
- 1 teaspoon juniper berries, coarsely crushed
- 1 teaspoon pink peppercorns, coarsely crushed
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped flat leaf parsley
- Season the chicken generously with salt and pepper.
- In a large skillet, melt the 1 tablespoon of uncut butter in the oil.
- Add the chicken in batches and cook over moderately high heat until browned, about 5 minutes per side; remove to a plate.
- Reduce the heat to moderate, add the shallots and cook, stirring occasionally, until softened, about 1 minute.
- Add 1/2 cup of the ale and bring to a boil, scraping up the browned bits from the bottom.
- Return the chicken to the skillet, cover and simmer for 15 minutes. Turn and baste the chicken with the pan juices, then cover and simmer until cooked through, about 15 minutes longer.
- Remove the chicken from the skillet and keep warm.
- Boil the pan juices over high heat until syrupy, about 5 minutes.
- Reduce the heat to moderate.
- Add the juniper berries, pink peppercorns and the remaining 2 tablespoons of ale, then whisk in the remaining 3 tablespoons of cold butter, a few pieces at a time. Season with salt and pepper.
- Remove from the heat.
- Return the chicken to the skillet and spoon the sauce over it to coat. Serve the chicken on a platter or dinner plates, sprinkled with the parsley.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
This was a different dish. The sauce was great...until I added the Juniper Berries. The beer and butter is wonderful together! The Juniper berries were so strong every bite was like a shot of gin. The chef has since adjusted the amount of berries used in this recipe and I bet the dish is now worthy of five stars. Also, add the berries at the very end so they are warmed and not cooked in the sauce. I will make this one again with the new amounts. Thanks Karen!
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
My name is Karen. I love to cook. I collect cookbooks, my favorite being ones you can get from churches or schools that have peoples personal favorites in them. Whenever I visit out of state I try to find 1-2 of these kinds of cookbooks. My hobbies are painting, cross stitch, scrapbooking and spending time with my 3 children. Megan 21 years old, Jeremy 16 Years old, and Clayton 8 years old. People love my pizza Swirls. I love all foods. I love to try complicated recipes for fun and I make alot of my own breads. My kids love to help me cook I think its a great time to get to communicate with our kids especially when life can get so crazy with school and such, this is a great habit we have gotten into, cooking and chatting LOL. We now have a smoothie night where we make an assortment of smoothies as a dessert, and on occasion we have had smoothies for dinner but that is a rare occasion. Its kids choice and they have fun on recipezaar because I have dedicated a cookbook just to smoothies. My daughter is getting creative in her smoothie endeavors and coming up with some incredible ideas! In Jan 09 I was diagnosed with Breast Cancer and have just began the treatments to get myself back up to speed. *UPDATE* November 2009 I have finished my radiation and chemotherapy and am on the mend. Chemo caused nerve damage in my leg so I am unable to walk without a cane and a brace but otherwise doing great!!!!!!!! <li><a href="http://www.recipezaar.com/bb/viewforum.zsp?f=2">Cooking Q & A Forum Host</a></li> <li><a href="http://www.recipezaar.com/bb/viewforum.zsp?f=27">Desserts Forum Host</a></li> In september of 2009, The Pink ribbon tour came through Wickenburg. The pink ribbon tour are 2 Pink Fire Trucks with the firefighters wearing pink. I had the honor of being one of the people that got to sign my name on the firetrucks as it was beginning a long tour of the United States. It was such an incredible expierience, I could feel the love and healing in the air (Even thought it WAS raining lol) For more information on these incredible people: Here is their web site http://www.pinkribbontour.com/ <embed type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" allowNetworking="all" allowFullscreen="true" src="http://w18.photobucket.com/pbwidget.swf?pbwurl=http://w18.photobucket.com/albums/b112/kzbhansen/86e0af4e.pbw" height="300" width="400"> Family Pictures. <embed type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" src="http://w18.photobucket.com/pbwidget.swf?pbwurl=http://w18.photobucket.com/albums/b112/kzbhansen/6fc6ef61.pbw" height="360" width="480"></embed> Some photo's I have taken here on Recipezaar. <embed type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" src="http://w18.photobucket.com/pbwidget.swf?pbwurl=http://w18.photobucket.com/albums/b112/kzbhansen/6cf5c900.pbw" height="180" width="600"></embed> <embed type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" src="http://w18.photobucket.com/pbwidget.swf?pbwurl=http://w18.photobucket.com/albums/b112/kzbhansen/7d72c0d6.pbw" height="180" width="600"> These are some of the fun events here on Zaar that I have participated in and had so much fun with!! <img src="http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b399/susied214/adopted_1_1.jpg" border="0" alt="Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting"> <img src="http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b399/susied214/beartag_1_1.jpg" border="0" alt="Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting"> <img src="http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b399/susied214/projects/untitled_1.jpg" border="0" alt="Image hosting by Photobucket"> <img src="http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y53/DUCHESS13/FFF/completedbanner.gif"> <img src="http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b112/kzbhansen/Banners/AnimationStellaMaris.gif"><a href="http://photobucket.com" target="_blank"> <img src="http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b399/susied214/projects/chef3.jpg" border="0" alt="Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting"></a> <img src="http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y53/DUCHESS13/World%20Tour/ZWT2.gif"> <img src="http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y53/DUCHESS13/World%20Tour/AnimatedHostChallengeBanner.gif"> <img src="http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b112/kzbhansen/Banners/Animation3.gif"> <img src="http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b112/kzbhansen/untitled-2.jpg"><img src="http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b112/kzbhansen/200_artistrichardneuman-art-prints_.jpg"> <img src="http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y53/DUCHESS13/Zaar%20World%20Tour%203/ZWT3-Participation.gif"> <img src="http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b112/kzbhansen/ZWT-ChallengeHostBanner.gif"> <img src="http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b112/kzbhansen/ZWT4-ChallengeHostAboutMe-Small.gif"> <img src="http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b112/kzbhansen/amy.jpg"> <img src="http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b112/kzbhansen/stacky5.jpg"> <img src="http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b399/susied214/permanent%20collection/RedRose_FSsticker.jpg" border="0" alt="Photobucket"> <img src="http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a132/tgifford/Game%20Room%20Banners/AM%20Banners/KBparticipation.jpg" border="0" alt="Photobucket"> <img src="http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b280/carolinamoon21/Ingredients/BANNERS/BellywarmersSTKR.jpg"> <img src="http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b280/carolinamoon21/Ingredients/PropitUpSTKR.jpg">