Chicken Stew With Sour Cream Dumplings
- Ready In:
- 3hrs 30mins
- 1 large chicken, cut up
- 6 carrots, cut in 1-inch pieces
- 6 celery ribs, cut in 1-inch pieces
- 1⁄2 cup onion, coarsely chopped
- 2 chicken bouillon cubes or 2 tablespoons chicken bouillon granules
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄2 cup flour
- 1 cup milk
- 1⁄2 teaspoon Kitchen Bouquet
- 1 1⁄2 cups flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 3⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon thyme
- 3⁄4 cup sour cream
- 3⁄4 cup milk
- 2 tablespoons oil
- Place chicken, carrots, celery,onion, boullion cubes or granules, salt, and pepper in stock pot or dutch oven with enough water to cover.
- Bring to boil, lower heat, simmer 3 hours covered.
- Remove chicken, cool enough to handle, then strip meat from bones.
- Remove veggies.
At this point, make dumplings:
- Mix 1 1/2 cups flour,baking powder,3/4 t. salt, and thyme together.
- Mix sour cream, 3/4 cup milk and oil together.
- Fold sour cream mix into flour mix. Beat by hand until thoroughly mixed. Set aside.
- Bring broth to boil.
- Mix 1/2 cup flour, 1 cup milk and Kitchen Bouquet; add to boiling broth.,.
- Cook, whisking constantly, until thick and bubbly.
- Return chicken meat and veggies to broth.
- Drop dumpling mix by serving-spoonfuls on simmering stew.
- Cover tightly, cook 20 minutes without lifting cover.
- Pick will come out clean when dumplings are done.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!