Quick Chicken and Dumplings
- Ready In:
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 1 cup water
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 teaspoons poultry seasoning
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon dried parsley
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1⁄2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 lb boneless skinless chicken breast
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 3 cups milk
- 2 cups frozen peas and carrots
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 tablespoon butter (softened)
- 1 cup milk
- In a heavy bottomed Dutch oven or large wide pot, over medium heat, add chicken broth, water, butter and all seasonings (poultry seasoning, onion powder, garlic powder, salt, parsley, basil, and pepper). Cover and bring to a boil.
- Meanwhile, cut chicken breast into bite sized pieces. Add to the pot. Stir to combine and cover.
- In a sealable container (such as a large mason jar) combine flour and milk. Seal tightly and shake vigorously to combine well. You will create a smooth flour mixture for thickening your sauce called a slurry. Slowly pour the slurry into the pot, stirring constantly. Add frozen vegetables and cover.
- Meanwhile combine dumpling ingredients in a medium bowl. Mix well with a fork. Remove cover from the soup pot and stir well.
- Drop dumplings into the soup one tablespoon at a time, use a 1 tablespoon scoop to make it even easier. Reduce heat to simmer, cover and cook until soup is thick enough to coat the back of a spoon, about 10 minutes.
Join The Conversation
We liked everything about this dish and the only thing I might do next time is get a thicker gravy. I used chicken breast tenderloins and normally cant make good dumplings without Bisquick but had no problem at all with these. The hubby is not real fond of carrots so I just added peas and made some buttered carrots that I had on the side. So good and easy! Made and reviewed for the FYI recipe tag game.
Loved it! So quick and easy! The dumplings were so light and fluffy....large though so we ended up cutting them up so we could get a bit of chicken and dumpling on each spoon. I didn't have frozen peas and carrots, but I had each separately and just poured equal amounts of each in. Great recipe for when the weather is turning cool. Thanks for sharing! Made for For Your Consideration Game.
This was FABULOUS!!! We are so in love, and my daughter wants the recipe. I didn't know you could make dumplings, said my husband! aha :) Minor changes, I used fresh carrots, diced, because I had them, I also added a thinly sliced red onion, ditto. I added these with the chicken. I decided to add a dash of red pepper flakes because my husband does enjoy a bit of a bite. Otherwise, as recipe, and oh, so good. Thank you for sharing!!!!