Chicken Fa Fa
- Ready In:
- 1hr 15mins
- 1 1⁄2 lbs spinach (taro, stems removed, chopped, If using frozen spinach, thaw first. Then squeeze dry before adding to)
- 2 -3 tablespoons oil
- 1 1⁄2 lbs chicken thighs (Use boneless, skinless chicken thighs or breasts if you like. Cut into cubes before sauteing.)
- 2 onions, chopped finely
- 2 -4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 inch piece gingerroot, peeled and minced
- 1 1⁄2 cups stock or 1 1/2 cups water
- salt & pepper, -to taste
- 2 -3 teaspoons cornstarch or 2 -3 teaspoons arrowroot
- 1 cup coconut cream (Coconut cream is the thick coconut milk that rises to the top of a can of coconut milk)
- If using taro leaves, bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Add the taro leaves, reduce heat and simmer for 30-40 minutes. Drain and squeeze dry. If using spinach, skip this step and proceed to Step 2.
- Heat the oil over medium-high flame in a large pot. Brown the chicken on all sides in the hot oil. Remove to a plate.
- Sauté the onion, garlic and ginger in the remaining oil till the onion is translucent.
- Add back the chicken pieces, stock or water, salt and pepper.
- Reduce the heat to low and simmer, covered for about 20 minutes.
- Add the taro leaves or spinach and simmer another 15 minutes till chicken is tender.
- Stir the cornstarch or arrowroot into 2-3 tablespoons of cold water and then stir into the simmering sauce to thicken lightly.
- Stir in coconut cream to finish and serve over rice.
- (My tip-I love this with yams or sweet potatoes too!).
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Have any thoughts about this recipe? Share it with the community!