Chicken Couscous One Pot
photo by I'mPat
- Ready In:
- 1hr 10mins
- 8 chicken thighs
- 2 teaspoons turmeric
- 1 tablespoon garam masala
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 onions, thinly sliced
- 3 garlic cloves, sliced
- 500 ml chicken stock
- 1⁄2 cup green olives
- 1 lemon
- 250 g couscous
- 1 bunch flat leaf parsley, chopped
- Toss the chicken thighs in half the spices and a pinch of salt until completely coated.
- Heat 1 tablespoon of the oil in a large saute pan with a lid.
- Fry the chicken, skin side down, for 10 minutes until golden brown, then turn over and cook for 2 more minutes before removing from the pan.
- Pour the rest of the oil into the pan, then fry the onions and garlic for 8 minutes until golden.
- Stir in the rest of the spices, then cook for 1 minute longer.
- Pour over the chicken stock and scatter the olives.
- Bring everything to a boil, turn down the heat, then sit the chicken, skin side up, in the stock.
- Cover the pan with a lid, then simmer gently for 35 to 40 minutes, until the chicken is tender.
- Lift the chicken onto a plate and keep warm.
- Take the pan off the heat.
- Stir in the juice of the lemon and couscous into the saucy onions in the pan. Top up with boiling water, if necessary, to cover the couscous.
- Place the lid back on the pan, then leave to stand for 5 minutes until the couscous is cooked through.
- Fluff through half of the parsley and lemon zest, then sit the chicken on top.
- Scatter the remaining parsley and lemon zest on top before serving.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
WOW packs a punch without knocking your out full of flavour and just fantastic. Made omitting the olives (we don't like) and I forgot the parsley but I did add some batons of carrot after cooking the onion initially for 2 minutes and in the last 5 minutes added some broccoli flowerettes, my 8 chickens thighs weighed just over a kilo (2.2 lb) after removing excess fat. I didn't add extra oil in step 4 as I felt the fat rendered from the chicken was enough and followed through. The rest came together beautifully and the DM who has declared I don't eat curry or spicy gobbled up the lot and had seconds on the couscous, I thank you Irmagard for a great recipe, made for New Kid On The Block.
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
<p>I live with my husband, four cats, and a sweet mutt named Jada in Scarborough, Ontario, where I work as an elementary school administrative assistant. I have a 31 year old daughter who lives with her boyfriend in nearby Don Mills, along with my sweet granddogs, Frankie and Turbo. I would have to say that my passion is animals, since I have so many of them! <br /><img src=http://images.quizilla.com/H/h0t5auce/1108834307_brown_answer.jpg alt= /> <br /><img src=http://www.recipezaar.com/members/home/532663/cookswithcattitude.JPG alt= /> <br /><img src=http://i146.photobucket.com/albums/r271/copperhorse58/CalendarGirlsSwap2009.jpg alt= /> <br /><br />If I had a month off work to do what I please, I would first catch up on my sleep and then just have fun - see a few movies and maybe take a couple of short trips - something that wouldn't break the bank - lol!</p>