Umami Chicken Chow Mein
When I lived in TX, I was trying to duplicate a light sauce based chicken chow mein similar to one of my favorite take-outs in Minneapolis. This is relatively close and very tasty!! Now that I'm back in the Minneapolis area, I tell my DH that I've forgotten how to make chow mein...
- Ready In:
- 1 cup sliced onion
- 1 cup sliced mushrooms (or 1 can)
- 3⁄4 cup biased cut celery
- 1⁄2 cup sliced water chestnuts
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 2 cups cooked chicken strips
- 1 (16 ounce) can bean sprouts, drained
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can chicken broth
- 1 tablespoon water
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- white pepper
- 1 dash Accent seasoning (msg)
- Cook vegetables in oil- until tender.
- Add chicken and bean sprouts.
- Add the broth- bring to slight boil.
- Add salt, pepper and Accent to taste.
- Make a mixture of the cornstarch and water.
- Add this mixture to other ingredients for thickening.
- Serve over rice or chow mein noodles.