- Ready In:
- 500 g chickpeas, boiled
- 1 inch piece cinnamon stick
- 2 medium tomatoes, chopped
- 1 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
- 1 medium onion, peeled and thinly sliced
- 4 tablespoons oil
- 1 tablespoon garlic paste
- 1 tablespoon ginger paste
- 14 teaspoons turmeric (haldi)
- 1 teaspoon coriander powder
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon red chili powder
- 12 teaspoons garam masala
- 12 cups fresh coriander, chopped
- 2 green chili peppers, finely chopped
- 250 g skinless chicken
- Place the chick peas, 1 teaspoon salt, cinnamon stick and bicarbonate of soda in a large heavy-based saucepan, add 2 cups water to cover the chickpeas by 2 inches and bring to a boil. still retain their shap.Once the chick peas have become tender keep them with its water, as that is also needed.
- Heat oil in a heavy based saucepan. Add onions and stirring frequently, sauté until the onions are light brown, about 5 minutes. Add ginger and garlic, sauté until the mixture turns to a golden color, about 3-5 minutes. (Add 2-3 tablespoons of water, if the mixture sticks to the bottom of the pan.
- Add chili powder, turmeric, coriander powder, 1 teaspoon garam masala, remaining salt and a little water to prevent the mixture from sticking to the bottom of the pan. Stirring frequently, fry the mixture for few more minutes. Then add the tomatoes. Still stirring frequently, fry the onion mixture for about 8 minutes until the tomatoes are reduced to a pulp. Add a little water, if necessary, to prevent the mixture from sticking to the bottom of the pan. Keep frying until the oil begins to separate.
- Add chicken and stirring frequently, fry to a golden color or all the moisture has evaporated, about 5-8 minutes.
- . Add 1 cup water, cover the pan, reduce the heat and allow to cook for 15 to 20 minutes or until the chicken is tender.
- Add the boiled chick peas and 2 cups of water from the chick peas. Carefully mix it with the chicken and cook for 5 minutes until the chick peas have absorbed some of the flavor.
- Sprinkle remaining gram masala, coriander leaves and green chilies.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Have any thoughts about this recipe? Share it with the community!
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY