Chicken With Garbanzo Beans (Chicken Cholay)
- Ready In:
- 2 onions, sliced
- 4 tomatoes, roughly chopped
- 2 teaspoons ginger
- 2 teaspoons garlic paste
- 1 teaspoon crushed black pepper
- 1 teaspoon cumin powder
- 1 teaspoon coriander powder
- 1⁄2 - 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons nigella seeds
- 1 - 1 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 6 -7 chicken drumsticks
- 2 cups pre-soaked garbanzo beans
- 4 -5 whole green chilies
- Heat oil.
- Fry onion till brown.
- Add ginger, garlic, black pepper, cumin powder, coriander powder, turmeric and nigella seeds (mixed with a little water to make a paste).
- Stir fry 1-2 minutes.
- Add tomatoes and stir fry till tomatoes are soft.
- Add drumsticks, fry 1-2 minutes.
- Add red chili powder and salt and mix well. Let chicken cook in its own water for a few mins or add 1/2 - 1 cup water and the garbanzo beans, mix well.
- Cover and let cook till chicken and beans soft and oil rises to the surface.
- (NOTE: if using canned beans, it won't take very long for this curry to cook).
- Toss in whole green chillies, cover and turn off heat.
- Serve in 5 minutes.
- Serve with a simple salad.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Yum-this was good. There is no mention of oil in the ingredients, so I used 1 tablespoon to cook my onion. I used canned garbanzos and tomatoes and thigh fillets, so it was very fast to make. I also chopped my chillies and added chopped coriander and lime juice before turning it off to stand for 5 minutes. My chillis are particularly hot, so I only used two. I will definately be making this one again as it used ingredients we always have on hand.
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
<img src="http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b399/susied214/permanent%20collection/Adopted1smp.jpg" border="0" alt="Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket">