Chicken Breasts in Green Salsa
photo by loof751
- Ready In:
- 4 chicken breast fillets
- salt and pepper
- all-purpose flour, for dredging
- 2 -3 tablespoons butter (or a combination of butter and oil)
- 16 ounces salsa, green, mild (or hot)
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1 -2 garlic clove, finely chopped
- 3 -5 tablespoons cilantro, chopped, plus extra to serve
- 1⁄2 green chili pepper, fresh, seeded and chopped
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 cup sour cream
- lettuce, shredded
- 3 -5 green onions, thinly sliced
- Sprinkle the chicken with salt and pepper to taste, then dredge with flour.
- Shake off the excess.
- Melt the butter (or butter, oil) in a skillet, then add the chicken and cook over medium-high heat, turning once, until golden but not cooked through-the chicken will continue to cook in the sauce.
- Remove the chicken from the skillet and set aside.
- Place the salsa, broth, garlic, cilantro, chili, and cumin in a pan and bring to a boil.
- Reduce the heat to a low simmer.
- Add the chicken to the sauce, spooning the sauce over the chicken.
- Cook for 25-30 minutes, or until the chicken is cooked through and tender.
- Remove the chicken and sauce from the pan and season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Serve with sour cream, lettuce, scallion, and cilantro.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
WOW! This was a fabulous dish. Definately going into my Favorites of 2013. I did add some minced garlic and onion to the pan to saute a little after browning the chicken then added the salsa and followed the rest of the instructions. Topped with sour cream, scallions and cilantro and served with a small green salad. Thank you for posting. Made for Spring PAC 2013.
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
<p>? Hi! My name is Teresa.? My husband and I like to take RV trips but it seems lately we just us it for vintage motorcross races. I enjoy hiking, snowshoeing, have done some rock climbing but age is creeping up on my poor old bones. Anything to do with the outdoors I enjoy, so why do I live in rainy Washington state? We have 2 wonderful children, both grown. My son lives in LA and my daughter and her husband recently moved back in the area with their little boy...our grandson... who just turned?5 years old. We have a granddaughter who lives close by...she just turned 23 this year. She's a sweetheart.? Life is good when you have a son and a?daughter and they?gift?you with a granddaughter and grandson. :)??</p>