Chick-Pea Chili Soup (Mock Menudo) Hangover Cure
- Ready In:
- 1 medium onion, chopped (about 1 cup)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 large garlic cloves, minced (about 1 tablespoon)
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano (preferably mexican)
- 2 cups water (or beef or chicken stock)
- 1 beef bouillon cube (omit if using stock)
- 1 (19 ounce) can chickpeas, drained
- 3 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 (28 ounce) can tomatoes (optional)
- 1⁄2 cup uncooked white rice, cooked as per directions (optional)
- In a saucepan over medium heat, sauté the onion in the olive oil for abour 3 minutes. (add optional bacon here, see note).
- Stir in the garlic and continue to sauté 2 more minutes. Do not brown the garlic.
- Stir in chili powder and oregano, sauté an other minute.
- Add water and bouillon cube (or stock), chick-peas and tomato paste (+can of tomatoes if using).
- Bring to a simmer and simmer steadily for 15 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Meanwhile, cook rice separately.
- To serve, put a portion of rice in a bowl, then ladle in the hot soup.
- - For extra flavor and texture, you can also fry up a bit of chopped up bacon in the olive oil before adding the onions (keep the bacon fat! (then continue with step 2).
- -The rice is just an option but is a comforting filler.
- -Serve on its own or with hot sauce, diced avocado, green onions or cilantro.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
<p>My husband and I are mostly retired but we love renovations so we tend to buy, fix and sell a lot :) We love to travel and our favorite and yearly destinations are Negril, Jamaica and Isla Mujeres Mexico.</p>