Chicago Dog Salad
- Ready In:
- 1⁄4 cup yellow mustard
- 2 tablespoons vinegar
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 4 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1⁄2 medium red onion, thinly sliced
- 1 cup shredded cabbage (or 1/2 of a 16-ounce sack shredded cabbage blend for slaw salads)
- 1 romaine lettuce hearts, shredded
- 2 tomatoes, diced
- 3 large garlic dill pickles, chopped
- celery salt
- black pepper
- 8 vienna beef hot dogs, sliced into 1-inch-thick slices on an angle
- In the bottom of a large bowl, combine mustard, vinegar, sugar, and about 3 tablespoons of vegetable oil.
- Add the onions, cabbage, romaine, tomatoes, and pickles and toss the salad.
- Season with celery salt and pepper to taste and set aside.
- Heat a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat.
- Add in remaining 1 tablespoon vegetable oil then arrange the sliced dogs in a single layer. Sear them a couple of minutes on each side. Remove to paper towels to drain.
- Mound up the salad on plates, top with seared dogs, and serve.
MY PRIVATE NOTES
Add a Note
Join The Conversation
Totally outstanding, Susie!!! Flavors blended like a nineth inning at O-10...Yummy salad! Thanks for this wonderful recipe! Made for Pls review my recipe tag. UPDATE: 07.08 Made this fantastic salad again; the dressing is sooo perfect for the hot dog slices and the greens. Makes a terrific summer supper. When you make it, suggest that you be sure to use the Celery Salt. THX again, Susie!!