Chewy Toffee Pecan Chocolate Chip Cookies
- Ready In:
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup chopped pecans
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 2 teaspoons cream of tartar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon table salt
- 1⁄2 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 1⁄2 cup all-vegetable shortening
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 cup firmly packed dark brown sugar
- 1⁄4 cup molasses
- 2 large eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 cups semisweet chocolate morsels
- 1 (8 ounce) bag toffee pieces
- 1 cup turbinado sugar
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line baking sheets with parchment paper.
- In the work bowl of a food processor, add flour, pecans, baking soda, cream of tartar, and salt: process until nuts are finely ground into flour.
- In a large bowl, beat butter, shortening, white and dark brown sugars at medium-high speed with an electric mixer until fluffy, about 3 minutes.
- Add molasses, eggs, and vanilla; beat on low speed just until blended.
- Gradually add flour mixture, beathing just until dough forms.
- Stir in chocolate morsels and toffee bits.
- Roll dough into 1-inch balls; then roll balls in turbinado sugar. Do not flatten. NOTE: You may need more turbinado sugar - just use more if you need more. I ended up with probably closer to 2 cups.
- Place 2 inches apart on prepared baking sheets. Bake 10-12 minutes, or until lightly browned and slightly flattened.
- Let cool on pans for 15 minutes. Remove from pans, and cool completely on wire racks.
- NOTE: you may find it useful to rinse and dry hands every so often, as that helps the dough roll into a ball more easily.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
a few years ago after having recently married my beautiful husband, i quit the job i'd had for four years (hated that place!). i spent the next two years being a housewife. it was an adjustment, but i loved the time i had to be in the kitchen and try new things. i was terrible at baking before i quit my job. afterwards, i made it my personal goal to keep on churning out those awful, dry cakes and brick-like cookies until i could do it right! i'm happy to report that i'm totally there. thanks to all the tricks and tips i've learned on 'zaar, i'm quite the baker now. : ) can you believe that people actually PAY me to bake my treats for them? it blows my mind! now i'm the shop manager for a hair and tanning salon, and i absolutely LOVE LOVE LOVE my job. i work part-time so i still have time to do my baking and also try out different recipes for dinner all the time. when it's warm outside, my husband and i spend lots of time at the savannah river fishing and hanging out. and like the true southerners we are, we love football and racing! my favorite cook of all time is definitely paula deen. i completely identify with the type of food she grew up on and still prepares today. oh, how i'd love to meet her..... <img src="http://i80.photobucket.com/albums/j166/ZaarNicksMom/PACsticker-Adopted.jpg">