Chewy Coconut Cookies
- Ready In:
- 1⁄2 cup butter, softened
- 1⁄2 cup shortening, such as crisco
- 2 cups brown sugar, packed
- 2 eggs
- 1⁄4 cup water
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 4 cups flour, all purpose
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup coconut, flaked
- In large mixing bowl, cream butter, shortening, and sugar until fluffy, about 2 minutes.
- Add eggs one at a time, mixing well.
- Gradually add water and vanilla.
- Sift together dry ingredients (flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt), and add to batter.
- Fold in coconut, then cover and refrigerate dough for at least 3 hours; this is a very sticky dough.
- Shape dough into 1 inch balls and place 2 inches apart on baking sheet that has been lined with parchment paper (or greased).
- Flatten dough using a fork, the back of a metal spoon, or your fingertips--this dough is very sticky--dip the fork, spoon, or fingertips in a bit of flour before you flatten each cookie.
- Bake at 400 degrees for 8-10 minutes, or until lightly browned.
- Cool for 2 minutes before removing to wire rack.
- Store in airtight container at room temperature, or freeze for future enjoyment!
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
My name is Teresa, and I live in Lake Worth, Florida. I've been away from Zaar for a few years now..time sure flew! Lots has changed...some for the better, some not so much. I'm single again, and my cat, Stetson, passed away. Hopefully, I'll be around more and get back into the swing of things..I missed you guys!