Cherry Oat Muffins
I found this one in my email today from http://busycooks.about.com. I love everything that goes into these muffins, so they are bound to be good.
- Ready In:
- 1 cup oatmeal
- 1 cup oat bran
- 2⁄3 cup brown sugar
- 1 cup flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 cup vegetable oil
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 2 eggs
- 1 1⁄2 cups fresh cherries (do not thaw if frozen) or 1 1/2 cups frozen cherries, halved and pitted (do not thaw if frozen)
- Preheat oven to 375°F
- Line muffin tins with paper liners.
- In large bowl, combine oats, oat bran, brown sugar, flour, baking powder and baking soda and mix well.
- In another bowl, combine oil, buttermilk, and eggs and mix with fork until blended.
- Add wet ingredients to dry ingredients and mix 20-30 strokes just until dry ingredients disappear.
- Gently stir in cherries.
- Batter should be lumpy.
- Fill prepared muffin tins 2/3 full with batter.
- Bake for 17-20 minutes until light golden brown.
- Remove from pan and cool on a wire rack.
MY PRIVATE NOTES
Add a Note
JOIN THE CONVERSATION
My family was very disappointed in these. They were very, very bland; and I had followed the recipe exactly, using fresh sweet cherries. I think a dash or 1/4t of salt would help, and a bit more sugar, for those who like a sweeter muffin. (I ended up putting butter and honey on these, but one of my kids, who usually devours muffins, still didn't want them). I wonder, too, if the oat bran is a bit much; they didn't rise very well, even though I was careful not to overstir. Still, they were healthy, and so I will freeze the rest to consume myself in time.Reply