This lowfat, high fiber, vegan (without margarine) recipe was taken from the "Healthy Vegetarian Cookery" cookbook by Nicle Oakley.
- Ready In:
- Sift the flour and salt into a large bowl and make a hollow in the centre.
- Add the water gradually, working in the flour to make a firm dough.
- Knead well for about 15 minutes, until the dough is smooth.
- Cover with a damp cloth and leave to stand for about 30 minutes.
- The dough should be quite firm and hard.
- Divide the dough into eight portions.
- Roll each into a circle, about 15 cm (6 inch) in diameter, sprinkling the rolling pin and work surface with flour to prevent sticking.
- Cook each chapati in a very hot heavy frying pan, without fat.
- When the top surface shows signs of bubbling, turn the chapati over and cook for 30-40 seconds on the other side.
- Then place the chapati under a warm grill until it puffs up.
- Spread margarine lightly on one side, fold over and serve hot.
MY PRIVATE NOTES
Add a Note
JOIN THE CONVERSATION
see 1 more