Caribbean Chicken Medley
photo by Random Rachel
- Ready In:
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried cilantro
- 1 (8 ounce) can pineapple chunks, in juice, drained, reserve juice
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons Russian salad dressing or 2 tablespoons catsup
- 1 1⁄2 lbs boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into 1-inch pieces (or thighs)
- 1 small zucchini, cubed
- 1⁄4 cup chopped carrot
- 6 green onions, sliced diagonally
- In 2 quart casserole, combine cornstarch, mustard, ginger and cilantro.
- Blend in 1 cup pineapple juice, the soy sauce and dressing.
- Add chicken, zucchini and carrot.
- Microwave at High for 12 minutes or until sauce is thickened and translucent, stirring 3 times.
- Stir in onions and pineapple chunks.
- Microwave at High for 2 minutes or until hot.
- Serve over hot cooked rice if desired.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
This sounded delicious, and was nice on a hot summer evening, but the recipe needs several adjustments to turn out. The recipe will not fit in a 2 quart dish, I had to use my 13"x9" pyrex. After 14 minutes of cooking, my chicken was still halfway raw - it needs another 5-8 minutes to reach 160*F. At that point the zucchini and carrots were still underdone, but we ate it anyways :) The sauce will not thicken unless it comes to a boil, which never happened in the microwave. Also the juices from the zucchini and chicken added to the pineapple juice so I had to add cornstarch to get a good consistency - I ended up pouring the liquid off after the chicken was done, and simmering it on the stove for a few minutes. I grabbed a normal 20 oz can of pineapple at the store, and it just had 1 cup of juice, an 8 oz can wouldn't have had the amount of juice called for. Because the zucchini and chicken naturally leak juice, the sauce was watered down and could have used more flavor. It was a quick and easy meal, that didn't heat up my kitchen, so it was perfect for a busy summer evening. In the future I will double the sauce ingredients, except the pineapple juice, add another tbsp of cornstarch, and cook it on the stovetop. For ZWT9.