California Beef Stew
- Ready In:
- 3 slices bacon, diced
- 2 lbs beef, stewing, cut in 1 1/2 inch chunks (note We used tenderloin for the beef. crazy, yes)
- 1 cup dry red wine, dry
- 1 beef bouillon cube, beef
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1⁄2 small onion, minced
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon thyme leaves
- 1 strip orange peel
- 18 small white onions, white, small
- 3⁄4 lb small white mushroom, white, small
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 (10 ounce) package frozen green peas, green, frozen
- 1⁄2 cup black olives, black, pitted
- In 6 quart dutch oven over medium-high heat fry bacon until crisp and then push bacon to side of pan.
- To drippings in pan, add stew meat and cook until well browned.
- Stir in one cup water, wine and next six ingredients; heat to boiling.
- Reduce heat to low; cover and simmer 2 1/2 hours or until meat is fork tender, stirring occasionally.
- Meanwhile in a covered 2 quart saucepan over high heat, in about 1 inch boiling, salted water, cook onions ten minutes; add mushrooms and cook 4 more minutes and then drain.
- Blend cornstarch and 3 tbsps. water; stir into stew and cook over medium heat, stirring until thickened.
- Add onions, mushrooms, frozen peas and olives and cover.
- Cook 10 minutes or until peas are fork tender.
- Serve and enjoy!
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
I am married to the love of my life (corny, but true) and we are empty-nesters (Yipee). My hubby and I also live with two cats (Mouse and Normy) and a bunny I found hopping around in the parking lot at work (PJ). I've never owned a rabbit before, and he is an exceptionally cute, sweet and funny rabbit. PJ is spoiled. He has his own bedroom (no cage for PJ) and is litter trained. Who would know that a rabbit would make such a cool pet :-) My husband and I like to try new recipes. We work well together and have fun cooking (and tasting) together. I am especially brave (I'm told) because I pick new recipes and try them out on company. Hey, if you like all the ingredients, what can go wrong? My pet peeves...hmmm... people who are mean to animals and rudeness. :-( I love to read, cookbooks too. I am scared of Cilantro :-)