Butternut Squash Lasagna With Smoky Marinara
photo by Greeny4444
- Ready In:
For the sauce
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1⁄4 cup fresh basil, chopped (or 4 tsp. dried)
- 2 tablespoons fresh parsley, chopped (or 2 tsp. dried)
- 2 tablespoons fresh oregano, chopped or 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 2 teaspoons balsamic vinegar
- 1⁄8 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄8 teaspoon pepper
- 1 (28 ounce) can fire-roasted tomatoes (undrained)
- 1 (28 ounce) can crushed tomatoes (undrained)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes (optional)
For the lasagna
- cooking spray
- 3 cups onions, chopped
- 10 ounces frozen chopped spinach, thawed and well drained
- 3⁄4 cup Italian cheese blend, shredded
- 1⁄2 cup fresh flat-leaf parsley, chopped (or 8 tsp. dried)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 2 large eggs
- 1 (32 ounce) carton cottage cheese, low-fat (2%)
- 3 cups butternut squash, peeled and diced
- 12 lasagna noodles (oven-ready I use Barilla no-boil noodles)
- 1 cup parmesan cheese, grated
- Make the sauce: Heat oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add garlic, basil, parsley, and oregano; sauté 1 minute, stirring frequently. Stir in vinegar and remaining ingredients. Reduce heat to the lowest simmer setting while you're making the lasagna.
- Make the lasagna: Preheat oven to 375°.
- In a medium bowl, combine the onions and the spinach. Separate the spinach with a fork, making sure it is combined well with the onion pieces.
- Combine cheese blend, parsley, salt, pepper, eggs, and cottage cheese in a large bowl.
- Place squash in a microwave-safe bowl. Cover and cook on high 5 minutes or until tender.
- Coat the bottom and sides of 2 (9-inch-square) baking dishes with cooking spray. Spread 1/2 cup Smoky Marinara in the bottom of one prepared dish. Arrange 2 noodles over sauce; spread 1 cup cheese mixture over noodles. Arrange 1 1/2 cups squash over cheese mixture; spread 3/4 cup sauce over squash.
- Arrange 2 noodles over sauce; spread 1 cup cheese mixture over the noodles. Arrange 1 1/2 cups onion mixture over cheese mixture; spread 3/4 cup sauce over spinach mixture.
- Arrange 2 noodles over sauce; spread 1 cup Smoky Marinara evenly over noodles. Sprinkle with 1/2 cup Parmesan. Repeat procedure with remaining ingredients in remaining pan.
- Cover each pan with foil that has been sprayed with cooking spray.
- Bake at 375° for 30 minutes. Uncover and bake an additional 30 minutes.
- To freeze unbaked lasagna: Prepare through Step 8. Cover with plastic wrap, pressing to remove as much air as possible. Wrap with heavy-duty foil. Store in freezer for up to 2 months.
- To prepare frozen unbaked lasagna: Thaw completely in refrigerator (about 24 hours). Preheat oven to 375º. Remove foil; reserve foil. Remove plastic wrap; discard wrap. Cover lasagna with reserved foil; bake at 375º for 1 hour. Uncover and bake an additional 30 minutes or until bubbly.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Have any thoughts about this recipe? Share it with the community!
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
I am an active lady, and I am not the top chef in the world, but I can hold my own. I love making things that remind me of when I was little, I love trying out new recipes, and I love learning new things to cook. Most of the recipes I post are recipes I loved that I found online, but that I have tweaked just a bit. I do have some family recipes on here too. I love to bake, probably more than anything else in the kitchen. I love to bike ride. I like to read, travel, kayak (I've only been twice, but I loved it), hike, camp, basically any outdoorsy/active stuff.?