BUTTERNUT SQUASH JACK-O-TOTS
- Ready In:
- 9 ounces white potatoes, 1/2-inch dice
- 9 ounces butternut squash, 1/2-inch dice
- 1⁄4 cup grated cheddar cheese
- 1⁄2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 garlic clove, minced
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 1⁄2 cup dried breadcrumbs
- olive oil
- Place potato and butternut squash in saucepan and cover with 1 inch of water. Bring to boil and cook until tender, about 10 minutes. Drain and transfer to a heatproof bowl and mash. Stir in cheese, flour, garlic, herbs, salt and pepper.
- Spread breadcrumbs evenly in a shallow dish or baking sheet. Form mixture into patties, about 3-inches across and scant 1/2-inch thick. Freeze 15 minutes. Using a sharp knife, cut Jack O’Lantern faces in each patty. Place in breadcrumbs and turn to coat both side.
- Heat 2 tablespoons olive oil in a nonstick skillet over medium. Cook patties, 2 to 3 at a time for two minutes per side until golden brown, flipping gently with an offset spatula. Replace oil between batches to prevent scorching. Serve immediately.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Have any thoughts about this recipe? Share it with the community!
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
Hungry for good food AND great conversation? Food.com boasts a smorgasbord of over 500,000 recipes and a community-inspired activity feed that allows our users to add reviews, tweaks, questions and photos to their favorite recipes. Grab a plate and join the fun!