Butternut Squash and Kale Torte
- Ready In:
- 1 tablespoon olive oil, plus more for pan
- 1⁄2 small butternut squash, thinly sliced (about 1 lb)
- 1 medium red onion, thinly sliced
- 1 small bunch kale, thick stems discarded and leaves cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 medium yukon gold potato, thinly sliced
- 6 ounces provolone cheese, thinly sliced
- 1 plum tomato, thinly sliced
- 1⁄4 cup grated parmesan cheese (1 oz)
- crusty bread, for serving, if desired
- Heat oven to 425°F Oil a 9" springform pan. Arrange half the butternut squash in the bottom of the pan in concentric circles. Top with half the onion, separating the rings. Top with half the kale, drizzle with half the oil, and season with 1/4 tsp salt. Top with the potatoes and half the provolone cheese.
- Top with remaining kale, drizzle with remaining oil, and season with remaining salt and pepper. Top with the remaining onion, tomatoes, and provolone. Arrange the remaining squash on top and sprinkle with the Parmesan.
- Cover with foil, place on baking sheet and bake for 20 minutes. Remove the foil and bake until the vegetables are tender and the top is beginning to brown, 8 to 10 minutes more.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Have any thoughts about this recipe? Share it with the community!
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
<p>I am a Yankee transplant to the low country. My mom was English, so my cooking style reflects this. My favorite cookbook was McCall's Cookbook which is no longer in print. I've been married to a gourmand for 41 years, so I get lots of practice cooking. We have three daughters that I share recipes with and seven grandchildren -- none old enough to cook yet, but I think we have some budding chefs!</p>