photo by Thorsten
- Ready In:
- 1hr 30mins
40 bread sticks
- Combine 1 cup flour, yeast, sugar and salt in large bowl. Stir in oil.
- Add water (1 1/4 cups) and combine well until well blended (2 minutes with an electric mixer or a bit longer by hand).
- Beat (or stir in) in enough of the remaining flour to make a soft dough.
- Turn dough out onto a floured board and knead for one minute or until smooth. Divide dough in half.
- Working with one half at a time, Roll one half into a 10-inch log.
- Cut log into 1-inch pieces. Cut each piece in half. Roll each piece into a 10-inch stick. Arrange on foil covered cookie sheets.
- Repeat with remaining dough (you should get about 40 bread sticks) Let rise for 20-30 minutes or until puffy.
- Preheat oven to 300-degrees F.
- Prepare glaze by beating egg white with 1 tablespoon water. Brush bread sticks with glaze and then sprinkle with garlic salt (or if you prefer coarse salt).
- Bake for 45- 50 minutes or until bread sticks are golden brown.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Made the whole batch of this great bread sticks, then shared some of them with a friend who also loves 'em! I made half of them with garlic & half with coarser salt, & although we liked them both ways, I'm leaning a bit more toward those with garlic! I'll definitely be making these again & again! A great keeper of a recipe, for sure! [Made & reviewed in Newest Zaar Tag, under the 24-hour rule!]
These are wonderful. I made these with your fried chicken recipe #63339 last night. My family loved both. They have requested these again for dinner tonight. My sticks were done in 30 minutes but I put a butter garlic mixture on them after 25 minutes in the oven. So, maybe the butter browned them faster. Anyway will be using this recipe alot. Thanks.
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
<p>I love cooking and trying different foods, but my favorite cookbooks are now Weight Watchers or low fat/low cal cookbooks as I tend to try and make low fat/low cal recipes. I lost over 90 pounds on Weight Watchers and have maintained for over a year now -- so my cooking/eating habits have changed drastically following my weight loss and to keep it off!</p>