Bread Pudding With Raspberry/Strawberry Topping
photo by Annacia
- Ready In:
- 1hr 10mins
- French bread, Enough to cover a 9x13 inch pan cut in 1 inch cubes
- 2 large eggs
- 3⁄4 cup sugar
- 3 cups milk
- 1 cup half-and-half cream
- 1⁄4 cup unsalted butter, melted
- 1 tablespoon vanilla
- 1⁄4 cup dried currant
- 1 teaspoon nutmeg
RASPBERRY or STRAWBERRY TOPPING
- 2 cups fresh raspberries or 2 cups frozen raspberries
- 2 cups fresh strawberries or 2 cups frozen strawberries
- 1⁄3 cup sugar
- 1⁄3 cup orange juice
- 3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- Blend all of the Custard ingredients together.
- Prepare a 9x13 inch pan lightly sprayed with a vegetable oil sray and lined with 1 inch slices of French bread.
- Leave the pan of bread (covered but not sealed tightly) overnight to dry on the counter.
- In the morning, preheat over to 350 degrees.
- Pour the custard over the bread.
- Decorate with a scattering of cinnamon powder and bake for 30 to 45 minutes.
- For the topping.
- Heat the mixture in a sauce pan until it boils. Puree and serve warm over the bread pudding.
- Serve with mixed fresh fruit in season.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
What a wonderful breakfast I had this morning. I will confess to using whole wheat bread (thats what I use for everything) and lightening it skim milk and fat free evaporated milk. Quite honestly nobody would care that it's a bit more healthy with the cuts because it is so good! As we are doing a reno and I'm struggling to do the best I can with what I have to work with I simply fork mashed the strawberries, added a bit of Splenda, o.j.. The vanilla, nutmeg, berries and o.j. made this a pure pleasure.
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
I was one of the original members of Recipezaar that was truly a community of individuals that enjoyed each other in forums and chat rooms. I've been a member of this site since 2003. Made some tremendous friends that I still think of often. I'll continue coming here because my recipes are here and so many more that I tried over the years as a member. It's just a tad boring now and just another recipe site like all the rest. Sad.