photo by Rita1652
- Ready In:
- 1hr 15mins
- 3 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon turmeric
- 10 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 6 tablespoons shortening
- 1 egg
- 1⁄2 cup beer
- 1 small onion, cut into 1/2-inch dice
- 2 plum tomatoes, cut into 1/2-inch dice
- 1 (14 ounce) can hearts of palm, drained and palms cut into 1/2-inch dice
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1⁄2 cup sherry wine
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1⁄2 lb shrimp, peeled, deveined, and cut into 1/2-inch dice
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
- 1 egg yolk
- oil, for frying
- Sift together the flour, salt, and turmeric.
- Work in the butter and shortening until it has a cornmeal-like consistency.
- Add the egg and the beer, and work until incorporated.
- Cover with a wet towel, and rest for 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, saute the onion, tomatoes, and hearts of palm in butter for 2 to 3 minutes, until soft.
- Deglaze with the sherry.
- Add the tomato paste and cook for 1 minute.
- Add shrimp and cook for 2 minutes.
- Season with salt and pepper. Let cool to room temperature.
- Preheat oil to 350°F.
- Roll dough into 1-inch balls and flatten into rounds approximately 3-inches in diameter.
- Spoon 1 tablespoon of stuffing onto each round, fold the dough in half, brush edges with egg yolk, and pinch to seal.
- Fry the empanadas for 4 minutes.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Ok! so cheated with the dough using Goya`s 10 discos grandes pre-packaged dough for the turnovers. Used cherry tomatoes in place of the plum (Thats what I have so far in my garden). Added 1 hot chili. Used 1/4 cup sherry. Added the diced shrimp mixed and removed from the stove. For it will continue cooking in the hot veggies and when frying. Didn`t want them overcooked.