Braised Turkey Thighs With Posole and Lime
- Ready In:
- 4hrs 20mins
- 1⁄4 cup flour
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon fresh coarse ground black pepper
- 3 lbs turkey thighs, skin removed
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 3⁄4 cup mild salsa
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 16 ounces white posole, drained and rinsed (Mexican hominy)
- 1 juice and finely grated large lime, zest of
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
- Mix the flour, salt and pepper in a medium mixing bowl. Add the turkey thighs and turn to coat with seasoned flour; pat off the excess flour and reserve the seasoned flour mixture.
- Heat the oil in a large heavy skillet over medium-high heat. Brown the turkey on both sides, about 4 minutes per side, and place in a 5- to 6-quart slow cooker.
- Add the reserved seasoned flour to the oil left in the skillet and cook for 30 seconds, stirring constantly. Add the salsa and broth to the skillet and bring to a boil, stirring until slightly thickened. Stir in the posole and lime zest (but not the juice). Pour over the turkey.
- Cover the cooker and cook for 3 to 4 hours on high or 5 to 8 hours on low, until the turkey is cooked through and tender, almost but not quite falling off the bone. Stir in the lime juice and serve, with the cilantro sprinkled on top of each bowl.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Have any thoughts about this recipe? Share it with the community!
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
<p>I'm a stay at home mom to a super spunky little girl. She's only 18 months and already full of personality. <br />I love recipezaar and am just getting into the contests and events. It's really helping me break out of my cooking rut. I really appreciate anyone who takes the time to review or post a photo of any of my recipes, good or bad. After all we all have different tastes and suggestions for improvement are always welcome. <br /> <br /><br /><br /><br /></p>