Boston Creme Trifle
photo by HokiesMom
- Ready In:
- 1hr 30mins
- Heat oven to 350º. Grease and lightly flour 13x9 pan. Mix cake using first 4 ingredients. Bake according to cake mix box. Cool completely.
- Meanwhile, in medium saucepan, combine flour, sugar and salt; mix well.
- Gradually stir in milk until smooth.
- Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, until mixture comes to a boil. Boil one minute, stirring constantly. Remove from heat.
- In a small bowl, beat eggs; stir in 1/4 cup hot mixture into eggs.
- Gradually stir egg mixture into hot misture.
- Cook over low heat until mixture boils and thickens, stirring constantly. Remove from heat.
- Stir in butter and vanilla.
- Place plastic wrap directly on custard; refrigerate until cool.
- In large bowl, combine remaining ingredients; beat until stiff peaks form.
- To assemble, break one third of cake into small pieces and place in trifle dish (or large clear glass bowl). Spoon 1/3 of custard over cake pieces. Spoon 1/3 of topping over custard layer.
- Repeat, making 3 layers.
- Garnish with chocolate curls if desired.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
I made this for our Father's Day dessert!! Although I haven't tasted it since I assembled it, I did taste all the separate parts and it is delicious!! I made the cake and custard the day before and then put it all together with the whipped topping (that I made today), so very easy to get assembled today. Thanks for sharing the recipe Charmie!! Made for ZWT6. ETA: I also sprinkled some mini semi-sweet chocolate chips with the layering. Update: We so enjoyed this cake for our Father's Day dessert. The next day my son came home and ate a helping before leaving to get his girlfriend and go to the college. Next thing I know, my DS and his girlfriend were back here both having a helpings of it before going to sign up for classes and she also loved this dessert, huge hit!!!
Wow what a terrific dessert! A perfect ending to our Father's Day celebration. It tastes so light after a heavy grilled meal. I absolutely love the whipped topping and the custard came out just perfect! Love this dessert and know I"ll be making it often for potlucks and family gatherings. I did take some liberty and used some mini chocolate chips as a topping as I did not have a block of chocolate for the curls. Thanks for sharing this truly wonderful dessert! Made for ZWT6 Zwizzle Chicks.
I love Boston Creme Pie so when I saw this dessert I had to try it. It was very good!!!! The only change I made was to use chocolate cool whip, instead of the whipping cream part to save time. This went over real well with family on Thanksgiving. The only change I may make next time would be to use a pound cake. I had a little trouble with the cake being a little to crumbly, but it still didn't interfer with the taste or looks. I will definitely make this again. Thanks for sharing a quick, easy and delicious recipe.
Charmie darlin', I have died and gone to heaven thanks to this wonderful recipe. Not only that, my entire extended family has threatened to come to my house and SEARCH until they all find the recipe. I took this to our family reunion on a Saturday for lunch and before I could leave, I had 8 requests to make it for the Sunday lunch too. These are some picky eaters, so that was a huge compliment. The textures and flavors are wonderful!! Thank you so much for sharing!
see 1 more reviews