Boreal Forest Cranberry Brownies
- Ready In:
- 1hr 5mins
- 1 1⁄3 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup butter
- 1 cup cocoa powder
- 2 cups sugar
- 4 eggs
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon almond extract
- 1 cup cranberries (fresh or frozen-no need to thaw)
- 1⁄2 cup walnuts, chopped
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1⁄3 cup cocoa powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon almond extract
- 1⁄4 cup cranberry sauce (jellied)
- 2 tablespoons cranberry juice (see note)
- 2 cups confectioners' sugar
- NOTE: to make cranberry juice for icing (if you don't have bottle juice on hand) simmer cranberries for brownies a few minutes in 1/8 cup water. Drain and reserve liquid and use berries in brownies.
- Preheat oven to 350°F Coat a 9 x 13 inch baking pan with non-stick cooking spray.
- Combine flour, baking powder and salt; set aside.
- Melt 1 cup butter in large saucepan. Remove from heat. Stir in 1 cup cocoa powder. Add 2 cups sugar, eggs, vanilla extract, and 1 teaspoons almond extract; stir until well blended.
- Stir chocolate mixture into flour mixture. Add cranberries and nuts and mix just until blended.
- Pour batter into baking pan. Bake 30 to 35 minutes.
- Cool completely and frost.
- FROSTING: Melt 3 tbls. butter in small saucepan. Remove from heat. Stir in 1/3 cup cocoa powder, 1/4 teaspoons almond extract, cranberry sauce and juice; stir well.
- Add confectioners' sugar; mix until well blended.
MY PRIVATE NOTES
Add a Note
Join The Conversation
Wow, Mike - these are amazing! I already reviewed your recipe on "the other site", but had to add it to this one too! The frosting is killer... it tastes like black forest cake, except there are no cherries in it! I ate all the leftovers with a spoon! LOL... Because we can't find fresh or frozen cranberries here in Costa Rica, I used dried ones (Oceanspray Craisins). Delish!