Blueberry Peach Stove Top Dumplings
photo by Ceezie
- Ready In:
- 4 cups fruit
- 2⁄3 cup sugar
- lemon juice (optional)
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons cold unsalted butter, cut into pieces
- 2⁄3 cup whole milk
- lemon zest (optional)
- Stir together fruit and sugar in a 4-qt heavy saucepan and let stand, stirring occasionally, until juicy, about 15 minutes. Bring to a boil over medium heat, stirring occasionally. Squeeze a bit of lemon juice inches.
- Meanwhile, whisk together flour, baking powder, and salt in a bowl. Blend in butter using a pastry blender or your fingertips until mixture resembles coarse meal with some roughly pea-size butter lumps.
- Stir in milk and lemon zest until just blended, then add drop onto boiling fruit. Tightly cover saucepan and reduce heat to low. Cook, undisturbed, until dumpling looks dry on top, 15 to 20 minutes. Let stand off heat, uncovered, 5 minutes before serving.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
I just made this recipe. Yum! It's not too sweet, which I really like. I, too, used frozen blueberries so I reduced the water to 1 cup. When I took the dumplings out of the oven, it looked really watery, so I was worried that it was too watery. But, when I dished up a dumpling and put some of the blueberry sauce on it, the dumpling soaked it up and it was perfect. I absolutely loved the taste of the dumplings! I plan to make it again!
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
I am going to use this spot to put some of my favorite cooking tips and tricks that don't really warrant going in as a recipe and so I don't lose them!!