- Ready In:
- 1hr 15mins
- 1⁄3 cup sugar
- 1⁄4 cup butter, softened
- 1 egg
- 2 1⁄3 cups all-purpose flour
- 4 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 1⁄2 cups fresh blackberries, sliced into thirds
- 1⁄4 cup sugar
- 1⁄4 cup flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄4 cup butter
- To make the loaf: Mix together butter and sugar in a large bowl until creamy.
- Beat in egg.
- In a separate bowl, combine flour, baking powder, and salt.
- Alternately, add milk and flour mixture to the butter mixture.
- Stir well to combine.
- Add vanilla, stir.
- Fold in blackberries gently, try not to mash them too much.
- Pour batter into a greased 9x5 loaf pan.
- To make streusel: Combine streusel ingredients, mix until crumbly.
- Pour over batter in the loaf pan.
- Bake at 350 for 45-60 minutes.
- Check frequently after 45 minutes.
- Loaf should be golden brown and a knife inserted in the center of the loaf should come out dry.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
It only gets a 5 if you make it as a coffee cake in a 8" square pan. I tried it several times in a loaf pan and the center was always goopy. It comes out perfectly as a coffee cake. Everytime I take it some where there are never any leftovers, and I make sure I have plenty of copies of the recipe with me.
I was really happy the way this bread baked up. I actually doubled the recipe because I had a lot of berries to use up. The loaves baked up very high and the topping was very attractive. The only thing I would change is the amount of sugar. It wasn't very sweet at all and I was actually kind of shocked when I tried a slice. But, I'm the oddball of the bunch and everyone else thought it was good. Thanks for the recipe!
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY