Black Pepper Chicken Curry
MAKE IT SHINE! ADD YOUR PHOTO
The next time you need an Indian food fix try this simple dish. I have slightly changed it from the original, created by the Michelin-starred chef Atul Kochhar.
- Ready In:
- 3hrs 25mins
- 3 -4 chicken breasts, cut into strips
- 2 teaspoons ginger paste
- 2 teaspoons garlic paste
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 4 teaspoons fresh ground black pepper
- 2 teaspoons white vinegar
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- 100 ml oil (sunflower is good)
- 2 medium onions, sliced
- 2 large onions, chopped and then pureed into a paste
- 1 piece ginger, peeled and cut into fine strips
- 2 tablespoons chopped coriander leaves
- Mix together the salt, ginger paste, garlic paste, vinegar, turmeric and 1 tsp of the black pepper.
- Rub the chicken with this mixture, cover and leave in the fridge for 2-3 hours.
- Heat the oil in a wide frying pan.
- Add 2 tsp of the pepper, sauté briefly, then add the sliced onion.
- Cook until golden, then add the onion paste.
- Fry until golden again.
- Add the chicken with any marinade of juices and fry until almost dry.
- Add a little water, then cook the chicken until done, about 20 minutes.
- Sprinkle with the ginger strips, coriander and the remaining pepper.
- Serve hot with naan bread or over basmati rice.
MY PRIVATE NOTES
Add a Note
JOIN THE CONVERSATION
This was a real suprise. I thought we'd enjoy it, but I didn't know how much. I worried about the 4 teaspoons of pepper being too overpowering, but decided to trust SG and go with it-it was perfect. I found the 2 onion steps took about 40 minutes to cook, and then the chicken took only about 10 minutes more (I used thigh fillets cut into quite thin strips). The ginger, cilantro and extra pepper give it a great burst of flavour to finish.Reply