Black Pepper Beef With Green Beans
- Ready In:
- 1 lb green beans, ends snapped off and strings removed
- 3⁄4 lb flank steak, trimmed
- 2 tablespoons dark soy sauce or 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1 tablespoon chinese rice wine or 1 tablespoon dry sherry
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 2 teaspoons fresh coarse ground black pepper
- 3 tablespoons canola oil
- 1⁄4 cup water
- 2 slices unpeeled fresh ginger
- 1 medium onion, sliced
- 1 Snap green beans into halves or thirds to make pieces about 21/2 inches long.
- 2. Slice steak with the grain into 2-inch-wide strips. Then slice the strips across the grain into 1/8-inch-thick . slices.
- 3. Whisk together soy sauce, cornstarch, wine, sugar and black pepper in a medium bowl. Add beef and mix well.
- 4. Heat 1 tablespoon oil in a wok or stir-fry pan over high heat until oil is hot but not smoking. Test by dipping a spatula in the beef mixture and then into the oil; it should sizzle. Add green beans and stir about 1 minute. Add water and reduce heat to medium. Cover and cook until tender-crisp, 6 to 9 minutes. Transfer beans and liquid to a shallow dish.
- 5. Add remaining oil to pan and increase heat to high. Add ginger and stir until oil is hot and ginger sizzles. Add onion and stir constantly 1 minute. Stir beef mixture and add to pan. Cook, stirring, until beef is no longer pink, about 2 minutes.
- 6. Return beans and liquid to pan and stir until mixed well and heated thoroughly, about 30 seconds. Discard ginger. Serves 4.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Have any thoughts about this recipe? Share it with the community!