Biba's Osso Bucco
- Ready In:
- 1hr 15mins
- 1 cup tomato sauce
- 2 stalks celery, diced
- 1 carrot, diced
- 1 ounce dried porcini mushrooms
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1 cup marsala wine
- 1⁄2 cup water, hot
- 4 veal shanks
- 1⁄2 cup flour
- salt, to taste
- fresh ground black pepper, to taste
- 3 -4 tablespoons olive oil
- In small bowl, combine dried mushrooms and hot water.
- Allow mushrooms to reconstitute, making sure to save the liquid!
- Season veal with salt and pepper, then dredge in flour, shaking off excess.
- Heat oil over medium high heat in deep skillet, and brown veal shanks on both sides, adding more oil as needed.
- Remove veal from pan, add diced vegetables and mushrooms, cook for for 5-10 minutes or until browned, adding more oil if needed.
- Return veal to pan, add wine and reduce for 5 minutes.
- Be sure to scrape up any brown bits off the bottom of the pan--that's where the flavor is!
- Add mushroom water, tomato sauce, and chicken broth.
- Simmer on very low heat for at least 45 minutes, or bake at 325 degrees for 1 and 1/2 hours, or until veal is fork tender.
- Serve over creamy polenta, rice, mashed potatoes, or egg noodles.
Join The Conversation
I would make this every week if veal shanks weren't so danged expensive! As it is, this will have to be a special occasion dish. But what a dish!! The sauce is wonderful and the veal practically melts in your mouth. I used Dry Marsala (there is also Sweet Marsala) and served the Osso Buco over my Soft Oven Polenta (#84268). I also tried this recipe with beef shanks because they are less expensive, but they are just too tough. Until I win the lottery, this will remain a special occasion treat. Great recipe Teresa, thank you for sharing.
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
My name is Teresa, and I live in Lake Worth, Florida. I've been away from Zaar for a few years now..time sure flew! Lots has changed...some for the better, some not so much. I'm single again, and my cat, Stetson, passed away. Hopefully, I'll be around more and get back into the swing of things..I missed you guys!