Better Than Aunt Patti's Cornbread Dressing
photo by Baby Kato
- Ready In:
1 9x13 casserole
- Cook cornbread according to package directions. Cook for the minimum time and don't let cornbread brown as much as you normally would. Cut it up into pieces and after cool enough to handle then crumble it up leaving no large chunks and transfer to a very large mixing bowl. (I use the bowl from my Kitchen Aid).
- In a microwaveable bowl (I use my four cup Pyrex measuring cup) put in your onion and celery and 1 cup of water. Microwave for 5-8 minutes until celery and onion are soft depending on how finely you sliced them. (keep the vegetable broth! it adds a of flavor!) Drop in the butter and let melt.
- Combine all ingredients in the mixing bowl and mix well until cornbread has absorbed most of the liquids. It will be a little soupy but don't worry about it. Pour into a sprayed 9x13 casserole dish and bake at 425 for 30 minutes.
- The center might still be a little wiggly but that is ok. It will set up nicely as it cools.
- I cook in glass Pyrex cookware so if you are using a dark metal 9x13 casserole pan the cooking time might need to be less. I really don't know. Sorry.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Yummm, loved this tasty dish Potsie. The stuffing was soft, tender, flavorful and delicious. Served with carrots/parsnip and moose steaks for a wonderful meal. I was so excited to try your dish that I made cornbread from scratch. Thanks for sharing this wonderful recipe that I will enjoy often. Kudos on making into my Best of for 2020. We will be enjoying this often. Made for Cook-a-thon for our favourite Queen.