- Ready In:
3 1/4 cups
- Heat butter in a medium saucepan until melted.
- Add flour, stirring until smooth.
- Cook gently over medium heat until light golden brown, 6-7 minutes.
- Meanwhile, heat the milk in a separate pan until almost boiling.
- Add milk to the butter mixture 1 cup at a time, whisking continuously until very smooth.
- If lumps begin to form, you need to adjust the heat up a bit higher.
- Bring to a boil, and cook for 30 seconds, continuing to stir.
- Remove from the heat and season with salt and nutmeg.
- Note: After I had brought it to a boil and let it cook for 30 seconds, it was still too liquidy.
- I continued to cook it over high heat, stirring constantly, until it thickened down, and began to coat the back of the spoon.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!