- Ready In:
- 2hrs 15mins
- 3 large onions, finely chopped
- 3 carrots, chopped
- 3 celery, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1⁄2 green pepper, chopped (or red)
- 3 medium potatoes, cubed
- 1 -2 lb stewing beef (or to your liking)
- 2 -3 tablespoons tomato paste
- 2 -3 tablespoons paprika
- 1 (900 ml) box chicken broth or (900 ml) box beef broth
- salt and pepper
- 2 teaspoons olive oil (for cooking vegetables)
- fresh thyme, and rosemary if you like their hearty flavour
- ***If possible season the meat with salt, pepper, olive oil, garlic powder, oregano, paprika and cover in the fridge overnight. Otherwise still season the meat to your liking and go ahead.
- Start by heating the pot to medium-high heat.
- Add olive oil and fry onions 3-4 minutes until they start to soften.
- Add the carrots, celery, and peppers and let them cook for at least 8-10 minutes. (The celery should start to get soft but not mushy and the onions will look translucent).
- Add the garlic and chopped herbs (if using fresh thyme and rosemary).
- Cook for another minute or two.
- Add the meat and potatoes and stir until the meat loses the raw look.
- Add the paprika (hold back on adding any salt until after you ad the stock since they can be salty at times).
- Add the beef or chicken stock (you need just enough to cover the meat and vegetables. If more is required you can always mix a stock cube in water and add to pot).
- Add the tomato paste and let it all come to a boil, reducing the heat to allow it to simmer.
- Let it cook for half an hour or until the potatoes become soft and allow for the soup/stew to thicken up.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Have any thoughts about this recipe? Share it with the community!
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
I became a vegetarian a couple of years ago. My husband is a big meat eater so we try to find dishes that can be created with or without meat. I love to cook and bake for everyone! Though school and work seems to get in my way a lot, I do get a lot of requests from my coworkers.