Bavarian Sugar Cake
- Ready In:
1 13x9 pan
- Place all of the dough ingredients into the pan of your bread machine. Program the machine for Dough or Manual cycle and press Start. Check the dough after about 10 minutes and adjust the consistency by adding flour or water as needed; the dough should be fairly sticky and slack. (I added a couple Tbsp water).
- When the machine has completed the cycle, remove the dough and turn it out onto a lightly floured work surface. (I let it rise an extra 40 minutes after the cycle was complete and then I turned it out onto a buttered pastry board not floured and let it rest for about 10 minutes before rolling out).
- Grease a 9 x 13 inch pan. Press the dough into the prepared pan with your fingers, stretching it to cover the bottom of the pan. (I rolled it out on buttered pastry board first and then fit it into the pan).
- Cover the pan with plastic wrap and allow the dough to rise until it is doubled in bulk, 30 to 45 minutes. With two fingers, punch deep holes all over the dough. (When punching holes in dough, if holes do not remain, it has not risen enough).
- In a small bowl, combine sugar and cinnamon; sprinkle it over the dough. Drizzle the cream evenly on top.
- Bake the cake in a preheated 350º oven for 25 to 30 minutes, or until a light golden color. Remove cake from oven, and serve it warm from pan.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Have any thoughts about this recipe? Share it with the community!