- Ready In:
- 2hrs 45mins
- 2 cups warm water
- 2 (1/4 ounce) packages active dry yeast
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1⁄4 cup butter
- 1 egg
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 6 -7 cups flour
- Measure water into a warm bowl.
- Dissolve yeast into water.
- Add sugar, butter, egg, and salt.
- Add enough flour to make the dough easy to handle (not sticky).
- Knead the dough until it becomes smooth and elastic (about 10 minutes).
- Place in a greased bowl to rise until double in size (about 1 hour).
- Divide the dough into small balls and place in greased muffin cups (for clover-leaf rolls, place 3 balls in each muffin cup; for regular dinner rolls, place 2 balls in each muffin cup).
- Brush with butter, if desired.
- Let rise again until double in size, about another hour.
- Bake at 375 for 10 - 15 minutes.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
This was a very good recipe and will be my 'go-to' for hot bread. The rolls weren't as 'yeasty' as I would have liked, but still tasty and they did rise nicely. I 'halved' the recipe at dinner since there is only my husband and myself now and we still have left over rolls for the morning breakfast. I added some poppy seeds and sesame seeds on some of the rolls before baking. Thank you Rubies for a very good recipe!!
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY