BASIC BROWN SAUCE
photo by clubfoody
- Ready In:
- 4 tablespoons clarified butter
- 1 cup red onion, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup celery, diced
- 1⁄2 cup carrot, diced
- 1⁄2 teaspoon chervil (substitute tarragon)
- 4 tablespoons unbleached all-purpose flour
- 4 cups cold beef stock
- 1⁄2 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper (to taste)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 large bay leaf
- In a medium saucepan over medium heat, add butter. When hot, add the mirepoix, stir, and cook for 6-7 minutes or until soft, stirring often. Add chervil, stir well before adding flour; stir to coat and cook for 2 minutes to remove the raw taste of it. Add cold broth, stirring constantly and scraping the bottom of the pot. Add pepper, salt and bay leaf. Bring to a boil and then reduce heat to medium; simmer for 30 minutes.
- Pour sauce through a sieve before using, squeezing the ingredients and then discard them. Use it or pour it back to the pot if making another recipe with it. Makes 2 ½ cups.
Have any thoughts about this recipe? Share it with the community!
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
clubfoody.com is about combining fresh ingredients, herbs and spices. This is a fun destination for foodies who love new recipes complete with videos and kitchen tips.