Barley and Lentil Soup
Another family favorite.
- Ready In:
- 2hrs 25mins
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 large onions, chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 carrots, sliced
- 4 stalks celery, chopped
- 1 red bell pepper, chopped
- 8 sun-dried tomatoes packed in oil, drained and chopped
- 2 teaspoons dried basil
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 6 (14 1/2 ounce) cans beef broth (ready to serve)
- 1 (28 ounce) can crushed tomatoes
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 cup pearl barley
- 1 cup dried lentils
- salt and pepper
- 1⁄4 cup chopped fresh parsley
- In a large saucepan, add oil and heat over medium-high heat.
- Add onions and garlic; saute onions for 10 minutes or until clear.
- Add next 6 ingredients.
- Cook until red bell pepper is just softened, stirring occasionally.
- Add 5 cans of broth, tomatoes, and tomato paste.
- Bring to a boil.
- Stir in barley and lentils.
- Lower heat and simmer about 1 1/2 hours or until barley and lentils are tender; stirring occasionally.
- Add more broth to reach desired consistency.
- Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Ladle into soup bowls and sprinkle with parsley.
MY PRIVATE NOTES
Add a Note
JOIN THE CONVERSATION
This soup, as another reviewer mentioned, is a great starting point for creativity and flexibility! I didn't have sundried tomatoes (I am sure it would be even better!) and used a yellow pepper and only 1 onion. I used vegetable broth to make this vegan, and use 1 big can diced roasted tomatoes instead of the crushed. And... completely omitted the tom paste because I didn't want to open a can for only 2 Tbs. I added a bunch of fresh spinach at the end. This may be the last cool day before spring and I'm glad I tried this yummy soup! Thanks!1Reply
Perfect! I did use 1/2 beef broth and 1/2 vegetable broth. And don't laugh, my friend fellow chef, always adds a bottle of beer to his lentil soup. So I did, I reserved 1 cup of the beef stock until the end, but it was thick so I added the last cup of broth back in. Love the mix of lentils and barley. Excellent recipe!1Reply
see 19 more